So, I went to a dermatologist. And for someone who knows a lot about skincare, I left my appointment eager to share some of the new things I learned. I was shocked! I also left with a SkinCeuticals Custom D.O.S.E to target the issues in my skin. So what did I learn? Keep reading.
If you’re local to Chicago, I went to Premier Dermatology for the sole reason that they are the only location that has a SkinCeuticals Custom D.O.S.E machine near me. The trend with skincare lately is to personalize it. Your skin needs something different than the person sitting next to you and your skincare should target that. Your skin also needs something different every season, especially if you’re in a climate that actually has 4 seasons!
The SkinCeuticals Custom D.O.S.E is a customized corrective serum created with the goal of fighting the issues that you’re most concerned about. Mine was melasma (aka brown spots). Before the consultant makes your serum, you take a short quiz about what you want to fix and the type of skin you have (dry, combo, etc.). It’s really easy and once you get your results, they walk you through what each ingredient that is going into your serum will do for your skin. My formula ID is HB236. Here is what went into my serum:
- H+H: refines skin texture, replenishes and maintains moisture levels
- TXA: fades the appearance of discoloration (i.e. melasma)
- PXN: supports skin’s matrix and improves firmness
- HB: hydroalcholic basic that is oil free
Then, you watch it being made! Did you catch that on Instagram Stories? The SkinCeuticals Custom D.O.S.E appointment is really quick too – you can be in and out in 15 minutes!
Each corrective serum is made without preservatives (yay!) and can be reordered directly from the dermatologist. Each last about 90 days if you are using 4-5 drops every morning and night. Given I live in Chicago, we talked about changing up the formula for my next bottle since it will be fall and my skin will likely be a little drier by October.
After my Custom D.O.S.E consult, I had a chance to speak Dr. Kelleher, Premier Dermatology’s board-certified dermatologist, to assess my skin overall. He was incredibly knowledgeable and perceptive. He explained the various products that I should be using as part of my general skincare routine. After sharing with him that I felt like I’ve aged 3x as much since moving to Chicago, he recommended a few things! Here they are:
- Antioxidants prevent damage from the environment and ozone (yes, ozone can be bad too!) around you. SkinCeuticals makes a few but he recommended C E Ferulic to reduce the appearance of lines, improve firmness, and brighten skin.
- If you have melasma, using a retinoid can irritate it!
- Excessive exfoliating (guilty!) can also irritate melasma.
- Sun exposure to your retina can trigger your skin to produce more pigmentation. Wear sunglasses!
- Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen every day. Make sure that your choice of sunscreen doesn’t just protect against UVB. Dr. Kelleher recommended the SkinCeuticals UV Defense sunscreen. I got to try both the tinted and regular and prefer the tinted!
- Using the SkinCeuticals HA Intensifier delivers moisture to the skin without clogging pores and improves skin’s texture.
If you’re concerned about anti-aging, all of the above tips are for you. I’m excited to see the results of using my Custom D.O.S.E and will share them on Instagram! I also started using the SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic antioxidant!
While I was talking through my skincare concerns, I mentioned the wrinkles in my forehead were really starting to bother me. I have an expressive face so the wrinkles are formed from consistent movement! So I also got a little neurotoxin in my forehead as a test! Premier Dermatology has such a wide range of services if you’re looking for a board certified dermatologist (which I strongly recommend)!
Have you tried SkinCeuticals before? Does the Custom D.O.S.E sound like something that might be a fit for you?
*In partnership with Skinceuticals and Premier Dermatology.