One of the things I was most excited for in our apartment is organizing our kitchen. If you missed how I organized my drawers, watch my Instagram stories (home highlight) or check out the dividers I used here! Our cabinets was a different task and it took me about 2 months to figure out what containers worked best, where, and what didn’t work in a container. Here is the result!
I did a ton of research on the quality of containers – I wanted them to last! After reading so many reviews, I landed on the OXO POP containers. The quality in person did not disappoint at all. I started with the 20-Piece OXO Good Grips POP set just to get a feel for what worked best for us. I’m giving a 20-piece set away on Instagram so head over to enter! I wanted to use these containers for everything so I didn’t see the original packaging of things, but if you like to keep the original packaging in your pantry start with the 10-Piece set! If you’re looking to organize your baking materials, this 8-piece set is best!
After putting things in containers and seeing what I use the most, here is what worked best in our pantry! When I was researching online, I kept having to measure things and figure out what sizes I needed. I wanted to include my most used so that way I can save you all time!
- 2.8 Quart Big Square Short containers were perfect for protein powder and collagen that I use in protein shakes. You can still use the scooper and they hold a lot. The 1.1 Quart Big Square Mini was great for powders that I had less of and to stack on top since I couldn’t fit two of the larger ones stacked with the height of our shelving. The 4.4 Quart Big Square Medium was perfect for snacks that come in larger quantities like my Safe and Fair popcorn (discount code is JENNA10)! They can’t fit a full bag but it’s pretty close!
- 2.7 Quart Rectangle containers worked best for bags of chips, croutons, crackers, and other snacks. They hold a lot so I can usually fit 2 bags of the Trader Joe’s sized products into 1. For things like croutons that I use frequent, this made a lot of sense! The 1.7 Quart Rectangle Short was best for pastas, oats, quinoa, and farro. I made this into my grains shelf and stocked up on kitchen essentials.
- When it came to the Slim Rectangle series, I didn’t find as many containers to be useful for what we buy except for the 1.2 Quart Slim Rectangle which I used for flaxseed and breadcrumbs! Since I kept nuts in the original packages to remember what they were (see below), the smaller slim rectangle containers had fewer uses. I also REALLY loved the thicker rectangle containers so didn’t mind buying 2 packages of something to fill up the container. That being said, the width of our shelves was a little restricting so the Slim worked really well on my grain shelf! The mini square containers are also great for things like vitamins which I used from the 20-Piece set.
- Matt goes through a TON of cereal so I used these 3.4 Quart Medium Cereal containers for that and granola. They’re easy to pour and prevent less mess. If you have taller shelving, I’d highly recommend the 4.5 Quart Large Cereal containers instead because they can fit a full bag! There is also this 3 piece set if you wanted to get exactly what I got. I use the 2 smaller sizes for our candy drawers. It’s really helpful for preventing mess!
Since we have short shelves, I generally found the tallest containers to not work for our space! When it comes to containers for easy to grab snacks, here is what I used! I generally found a 5″ – 6″ to be ideal for our narrower cabinets for both width and height.
- These clear plastic containers were perfect for the ‘grab and go’ snacks like bars, beef sticks, etc. that come in individual packaging. I put them at Matt’s height so he can easily get them!
- These white baskets are perfect for nuts, little snack packs of chips or crackers, or even containers of soup and cans! They’re very sturdy too! I used the 16″ x 9.25″ x 6.25″ size.
- I used one of these 16″ x 6″ x 5″ containers for larger sauces on the bottom.
- I used 2 of the medium half mesh stacking shelves for cans and sauces!