If you’ve been boycotting social media for a few weeks, let me give you a quick recap. First, welcome to summer. Second, Matt and I went to Cabo last week to celebrate our very first wedding anniversary. Third, there is a $1,225 giveaway currently going on to get you all set up to shop the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Fourth, Amazon Prime day kicked off yesterday so check my Twitter for the best things to get from the ridiculously long list of deals.
And now for where to stay and what to do in Cabo San Lucas! If you’re from the west coast, Cabo probably isn’t new to you. You’ve probably found yourself a few tequila shots in at El Squid Roe on spring break or celebrating a bride to be a few times. I know I have! But for those of you who might hail from a little further away, I hope that a trip to Mexico gets you as excited as it did for my Chicago born and raise husband.
Initially, I wasn’t as excited as Matt but after 5 minutes of being in the lobby at The Cape Hotel, I got pretty darn excited. The property is just stunning. It was the perfect place for what we wanted to do: relax by the water (they have an infinity pool that over looks the beach). It’s about 15 minutes from downtown Cabo ($20 taxi) so it’s close enough to make a few trips into town but it’s secluded enough so that you’re not bombarded by vendors as you try to work on your tan. There’s a swim up bar, amazing service by the pool, and 3 restaurants on the property plus a large bar so you don’t even need to leave. The staff was incredible and I can’t tell you how much I’d recommend ordering one of their 8 flavors of margaritas (watermelon was my favorite). I’d recommend booking transportation from the airport in advance because otherwise you’ll get swarmed with travel companies trying to take advantage of you once you land. We used TransVIP but there are quite a few services out there that a quick google search will yield!
WHERE TO EAT
- The Office is a really happening spot during the day to grab some authentic Mexican food and a few margaritas! It’s super casual and you will likely be seated on the sand so dress accordingly. There will probably be a short wait but it’s worth it – there is plenty of people watching to do while waiting for a table to open up or you can grab a drink at the bar.
- We didn’t actually go to Mango Deck but it’s right next to The Office. We got to watch (and hear) in the festivities while we were eating lunch so we got the gist. This is definitely the place to go if you are looking for a party!
- The Cape is actually located right next to one of the most romantic restaurants in Cabo which is called Sunset Da Mona Lisa. It serves Italian cuisine on a cliff that is set up for optimal sunset views! The restaurant was closed for weddings during our entire stay (it’s peak season I guess!) so we weren’t able to go but it was highly recommended by a few of our friends and family.
- While we didn’t get to go to Sunset Da Mona Lisa, we weren’t that upset and here’s why. The rooftop bar at The Cape had the same view but add in live music and Mexican food! If you like spicy food, order the habanero sauce on the side with your meal and you won’t be disappointed. You can also get a nearly 360 degree view of the sunset because of the height. We also got a private firework show since it was the 4th of July!
- If you like churros, you cannot miss Hacienda Cocina y Cantina. We were lucky enough to be seated right by the beach so it was the perfect ambiance for out anniversary. We were so tempted by all the people ordering churros around us that we had to do it too. They were DELICIOUS. Absolutely delicious. The caramel sauce was surprisingly better than the chocolate. Seriously, don’t miss them!
WHAT TO DO
- Catch one of the glass bottom boats to the Arch and Lover’s Beach that leave from the beach near The Office.
- Parasailing. Your hotel will likely offer a package for this but if you’re not looking to spend a fortune, the vendors on the beach will also offer packages at various price points. I’ve been before and it’s such a fun experience.
- If you have the time (and have the drive to peel yourself off your lounge chair), head on over to the Art District near San Jose del Cabo for a little culture.
That wraps up my travel tips for Cabo! If you have any questions about specifics, feel free to shoot me an email!
A lot of my outfits are from Nordstrom online! The Nordstrom anniversary sale start date is July 14th and there’s a full post with all the details you need to know here.